Susan has dedicated her life to helping shape people and communities and created a unique approach to personal and leadership development, and community facilitation and development.
In 1997, Susan established The Regional Development Company (RDC) to continue following her passion for regional development, and making a difference in regional communities. For more information on how RDC delivers tailored processes for communities and organisations either grappling with change, or preparing for it, to successfully implement programs and initiatives in these periods of change, please visit the website.
In her new focus, Susan works with clients who are:
- excited about the best possible future and how to make it happen
- trust the relationship strongly enough to go deep and be creative about processes
- legacy oriented, think beyond themselves and are passionate about creating a better world
- share mutual learning and respect
- opportunity obsessive and take action!
Susan’s specialties include:
- strategic thinking and planning
- whole-of-industry approach
- community and people focus
- innovative thinking
- complex facilitations
- effective problem solving
- governance processes
- philanthropy engagement
Susan’s qualifications include Graduate Diploma in Business (Training and Development), and a Certificate IV in Assessment and Workplace Training. She has been recognised by the International Association of Facilitators as a Certified Professional Facilitator (CPF) and is a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Professional Facilitators. She is also a member of the International Association of Public Participation and using IAP2 materials in her community consultation work. Susan is a graduate of the Australian Rural Leadership Program (course 4).
In 2016 Susan joined the Thought Leaders Business School and since 2017 is a member of Faculty and Mentor.
Skills and Experience
- Dynamic, engaging strategic leader who has held professional positions in business, Boards, not for profits, advisory committees and community organisations
- Passionate and committed to advancing rural and regional education opportunities and excellence
- Strong and demonstrable skills and experience in strategic planning, effective change management
- Sound governance understanding, capabilities and practice including, strategy, compliance, policy development, risk management and finance and audit
- Excellence in community and stakeholder engagement – across sectors and within and across regions
- Volunteer mentor for business leaders, upcoming professionals and small business start-ups
- Values centred, principled professional and community leader
- Exceptional communication and networking skills
Board member of regional, state and national organisations for the past 20 years including:
- Board Member, LaTrobe University Regional Advisory Board, Albury-Wodonga (2019-present)
- Forum Chair, Integrated Water Management (North East) (2018-present)
- Chair, Hume RDA (Regional Development Australia committee) (2017-2019)
- Member, Ovens Murray Regional Partnership (2017-2019)
- The Telstra Foundation (2008-2018)
- Chair, Telstra Kids Fund (2011-2018)
- North East Catchment Management Authority (2009-2013)
- North East Water Board (2004-2007)
- Charles Sturt University Council (1996-2008)
- National Rural Advisory Council (1999-2002)
- Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation (member of Human Capital, Communication s and Information Panel) (1998-2001)
- National Rural Women’s Advisory Group (1995-1999) Ministerial appointment
- Served on an array of board committees including Audit Finance and Risk, Health and Safety, Governance and Nominations, Finance and Executive Committees.
- Australian Institute of Company Directors
- International Association of Public Participation
- International Association of Facilitators